Immerse yourself in the world of artificial lighting and transform your photography with our comprehensive online course.
Regardless of your skill level or experience, we welcome you to join us on a journey of illuminating exploration, uncovering the secrets of lighting that professional photographers master to create stunning visuals.
The course is designed to break down the complexities of artificial lighting into easy-to-watch lessons and real-world applications. You will be taken step by step from understanding the basics to the application of advanced lighting techniques used in professional photography.
This isn't just a course; it's a ticket to a visual journey, harnessing light's transformative power to turn your photographs from good to breathtaking.
What will you learn?
- Understand the Fundamentals of Artificial Lighting: Recognize the essential concepts and principles behind flash photography, strobes, and other forms of artificial lighting.
- Manipulate Light to Your Advantage: Learn to control and shape light, tailoring it to your artistic vision.
- Master Flash Photography: Uncover the nuances of on-camera and off-camera flash, syncing, and balancing flash with ambient light.
- Operate Strobe Lights with Confidence: Discover the power of strobe lighting in creating dramatic effects and atmospheric mood.
- Excel in Portrait Lighting: Delve deep into the art of portrait lighting and understand the techniques to highlight the features and expressions of your subjects.
- Learn the Art of Color Gels: Experiment with color gels to introduce hues and to create unique color effects in your photography.
- Efficiently Use Lighting Equipment: Become proficient in choosing and using different types of lighting equipment based on the requirements of your shots.
- Execute Advanced Lighting Setups: Implement complex lighting scenarios for different genres of photography like portrait, landscape, product, and more.
- Post-Process Lighting in Images: Refine your images in post-processing software like Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop, enhancing the effect of lighting even after the shot has been taken.
- Create a Professional Lighting Setup on a Budget: Learn how to set up an efficient lighting system without breaking the bank, perfect for aspiring photographers.
Who Is This Course For?
This course is designed to cater to a broad spectrum of photography enthusiasts. Whether you're a:
- Beginner Photographer: Who has just started out and is eager to understand the art and science behind good lighting. No prior knowledge of artificial lighting is required.
- Intermediate Photographer: Who has a basic understanding of photography but wants to level up by mastering artificial lighting techniques.
- Professional Photographer: Looking to refresh your skills, discover new trends, or gain a deeper understanding of artificial lighting concepts.
- Aspiring Artist: An illustrator, painter, or any artist who wants to understand light and shadow better to improve their artwork.
- Content Creator/Blogger: Who wants to capture eye-catching images for their website, blog, or social media platforms.
Whatever your background, this course will guide you in creating beautifully lit photographs that resonate and captivate, serving as a launchpad to a deeper, more nuanced understanding of photography.
Will Carnahan grew up in Southern California. After spending every hour he could in the darkroom at Highschool playing with film, Will went on to earn a B.A. from The University of California Riverside in Film and Visual culture. At UCR he became a staff photographer for the schools newspaper, covering sporting events, concerts, and local news. In late 2006 Will and his friend Ryan started a photography company focusing on weddings, events, and their love for photography.
In 2007 Will continued on to Loyola Marymount University, earning an M.F.A. in Film and Telivision Production. While still shooting headshots, weddings, and events on the side, he focused on Cinematography. The years between 2007-2010 were an exciting time for film makers as it saw the first heavy transition from emulsion to digital. Having a base education in film exposure and a practical education in digital media allowed Will to excel as a cinematographer while in grad school. He went on to earn LMUs Panavision Cinematography award in 2008 and 2010.
Graduating in 2010, Will started freelancing as a Cinematographer, camera operator, and photographer. With heavy expirence in 16mm and 35mm film will transitioned into 4k cinema and up using REDs, Arri systems, and other cameras to take on Hollywood. The first few years of freelance saw Will shooting Music videos, short films, 2nd unit features, commercials, and web content.
Late in 2011 Will got a job shooting a web commercial for Disney Interactive. Since then he has been shooting consistently for Disney, shooting commercials for the parks and resorts as well as Disney channel, ESPN, and the Muppets.
Will Call Cinematic was established in 2013 as Will and his business partner and friend built a Production company to accommodate their freelance work along with some notable corporate clients. Through Will Call Will and Sam direct and produce video content for companies like Ghirardelli Chocolate, Diesel films and Nike, Whitney Eve Clothing, PredPol, and many others. With Sam and Will being cinematographers, Will Call gives them a hub for equipment rentals, music video production, and photography.
Today Will continues to freelance as a cinematographer and photographer, shooting and directing mostly commercial content and weddings.